I am a day behind in my reporting. Yesterday was day 29 of the build.
JB wanted me to get up on the roof so that he could explain what needs to be done. I went up two rickety, slippery ladders, in the rain, to the top level of the scaffold.
From there you could see the poor condition of many parts of the roof.
One unexpected thing was this flat lead roof over the bathroom. It needs to be stripped and re-formed. We will use felt rather than lead as this much lead would be extremely expensive.
The rear dormer needs to be replaced and the leadwork will need replacing around the cheeks, flashings and roof.
Damaged and slipped tiles will need to be replaced.
Apparently the main chimney looks OK.
The front dormer will need the same treatment at the rear one. Mark says this window looks like part of the set of Les Miserables. The window needs to be completely replaced.
The lead roof of the front bay also needs replacing.
The shared central valley gutter needs repairing. Also the down-pipe is full of debris, which is why, when it rains it makes a gurgling sound rather than a running water sound. I’m not sure what needs to happen with the gutters yet. At the end of the roof inspection I decided against risking the long rickety ladder to the ground and instead opted to climb back in through the first floor bedroom window.The fireplace in the dining room was skimmed and the inside rendered.
Some new radiators were delivered.
The cats enjoyed their end of day exploration.
In the en suite the first fix plumbing continued – here you can see heating pipes and pipes for one of the vanity units.
Here is some plumbing for a new toilet and the second vanity unit pipework.