This is the leaking window in the dormer that is responsible for the collapsing ceiling in Mark’s future study below, as well as the wet rot (with a fruiting body no less!). On closer inspection you can see that it has been repaired many times. There are brackets, sticky tape and Blu-tac holding it together – if you were to push on the lower right pane the glass would fall out (something we are grateful the cats didn’t discover). Plus this casement is held on by only two screws.
The window removed. Along with all those problems the wet rot had turned the bottom part of the window into a hollow, flaky mess. The wood was as light as cork and even more spongy. I got the carpenter to save the latches and casement stays though, as they may come in handy with other windows.
I spent most of the day painting the walls where radiators were about to be hung. I also had a chance to test some of the sample pots for the kitchen. I tried them in this corner because it was a place where kitchen units will be built so I won’t have to worry about painting over the samples. It also meant I could see the colours in full light as well as shade.
In the footsteps of previous decorators (such as L Johnson in 1935) I wrote on the wall, leaving our names and the date for someone in the future to discover.