A great deal has been happening today.
B the electrician came and completed the first fix of the utility room and toilet.
Lights. I have decided to go with wall lights in both rooms as the ceilings are so high.
This is the “fisherman’s” light fitting I am using in the utility room. It matches the pendant in the breakfast room.
In the toilet I am having this Tiffany style light above the basin and mirror.
A and R continued work on the wall.
The tree stumps in the front garden were ground down. Before.
The grinder exposed a line of red bricks that had been enveloped by the tree trunk. It wasn’t good for his cutting blades, apparently.
And after. We can now walk straight to the front door from the footpath! The stump of the yew tree that was next to the front door was also ground out.
I continued preparations in the guest bedroom clearing things out and tackling the fireplace.
There was still a certain amount of debris falling into this fireplace that I revealed last year so I donned my mask and gloves and set about trying to sweep the chimney out. It was an extremely dusty job. I ended up just having the vacuum cleaner running a metre or so away just to try to suck up some of the airborne dust. As I swept more and more of the debris out I was reaching my arm further and further up into the chimney. Given my past experiences I expected to come accross a bird skelton or two. On the ledge I felt a large piece of loose metal and pulled it out, bringing a load of debris with it. It was the bars for the front of the fireplace! As I continued there was more.
The ash pan cover.
And finally the baffle – the thing you use to close off the chimney (I know these words because I just looked them up). Whoever had boarded up this fireplace was thoughful enough to leave all the fireplace parts up the chimney. Thank you person-from-the-past!
It certainly saves me a few trips to reclamation yards to find replacements.
I looked up the chimney, which now seems fairly clear (this photo was taken before I did a final sweep – you can see more debris on the ledge). I replaced the baffle, effectively blocking the room from draughts and future debris.
My bucket was full – this is in addition to the foot of debris that I cleared out the last time! It’s a mixture of soot, masonry and a lot of old bird droppings – the pigeons still love to hang out on top of the chimney pot, Rosie watches them every morning from my study window. The content of the bucket was probably 50% phosphate – I could give Nauru a run for their money.