First, I know that some of you have been missing the cats. Oliver and Ruby in their dungeon ie. the master bedroom, during today’s work. Look at them suffering on the mink throw and looking daggers at me.
Rose on the damask attending to her toilette. I even had the QVC shopping channel on for her.
This morning A and D turned their attention to the front garden. They began by digging up a lot of the crazy paving.
Then there were massive tree roots to unearth.
That looks like an enormous tree branch but it is, in fact, a root.
All cleared and leveled. Next the hardcore base was laid and compacted but I don’t have a picture of that.
And then the paving stones were laid.
We finally have a front path! We have to wait for the cement to dry before we can use it though. The path and front garden will vastly improve the street-appeal of the house.
J the tiler grouted the utility room. I can’t get enough of those tiles.
Just look at that edge where it meets the quarry tiles.
He also finished grouting the bottom section of the shower walls in the top floor bathroom.
And repaired the section of loose grout in the kitchen’s original quarry floor for me.
Finally he tiled the hearth of the open chimney breast in the dining room. Before.
And after: it really completes the room. J the tiler said they look like they have always been there. Most of the other fireplaces in the house have inset gloss tiles in red or green which is why I was drawn to these.
Here was Oliver a year and a half ago helping to uncover the fireplace tiles in my study. The original tiles as you can see are smaller but it is the same effect.
And the green tiles in the bedroom when I revealed that fireplace.
While we are talking about the dining room, you can see some before and after shots here.
B the electrician was also here today. Switch plate before (sitting too proud of the plaster).
And after. Hardly any damage done.
Wire for the unnecessary extractor fan before.
And now gone.
Old ugly pull cords in the top floor bathroom.
Replaced by a discreet switch for the shower above the bathroom door.
And a new switch for the light just outside, which is a legal requirement if you want to have bathroom light switches.
The new bathroom light was fitted but unfortunately the glass shade was cracked, so I have ordered a replacement.
Utilitarian light and pull cord in the kitchenette in Mark’s study decommissioned. The main light in that room will be enough, plus we will no longer be cooking in this room.
New light fitting for Mark’s study.
With its New York Tiffany shade.
New light fitting for the top floor landing. And new smoke detector.
The trunking on the landing was also neatened-up.
New light fitting for the servant stairs landing. It’s the same fisherman’s light that I have in the breakfast room and I will have a matching wall light in the utility room. It’s my attempt to keep the ‘story’ of the old servant areas of the house consistent by using more austere lights in those areas.
Ready for the new light shade in the guest room. This will be a non-austere room, however.
While B the electrician was on a break, I couldn’t help but utilise his ladder to have a look in the loft. I managed to get my head and shoulders through that hatch.
It’s a huge space up there, at least six feet high from the rafters to the apex with no cross beams. Lots of old insulation piled up everywhere though. I think I’d like to get one of those fold-down ladders to gain access to this space as it would be great for storage. I’m sure we could even do a loft-conversion and turn it into an extra bedroom but we don’t really need a fourth floor or another bedroom. I’m tempted to explore the possibilities one day though.
There’s also a redundant water expansion tank up here for the old heating system. I’m glad it’s a modern plastic one rather than an old asbestos example.
The plaster work around the guest bedroom window was also patched up. I had a couple of windows measured for blinds today, including this one. I also confirmed the carpet order for this room. My nine week guest room challenge is running on schedule. Tomorrow the decorators arrive!