Decorators return tomorrow!
T the decorator finished the painting of bedroom five yesterday and today we removed the paper protecting the floor, rehung the blind and fitted the light shade. We are now in the process of moving stuff back into this room and there are some new pieces of furniture on order too.
The paint colour is Farrow and Ball ‘Elephant’s Breath’.
A couple of you asked about this little arch. It’s part of the structure of the chimney – this is the third floor and there are a total of six rooms that have flues running up behind this wall. I’m not sure if the arch aids in strengthening the chimney above or whether they just thought it would be wasted space if it were bricked in.
This is the wall colour by Farrow and Ball called Elephant’s Breath, which basically started the trend for neutral greys in interiors.
It does have a warmth to it though, and even looks a little mauve in a certain light. T and P completed the walls and ceiling, and the woodwork was undercoated so that T can finish it tomorrow before we have a late summer break without any work going on in the house.
I have been doing a bit of organising over the last day or so. This is the walk-in pantry as good as I can get it a) without buying expensive built-in shelves a la Nigella, and b) with the exception of the new sink that still needs to be fitted in the back right hand corner. It looks like a squeeze but that trolley with the steps on it is on wheels to allow access to the sink. To the left are the double doors into the understairs cupboard.
I have hung the hooks in the coat room. iODyne’s suggestion of soaking the hooks overnight in water and Fairy liquid to get the old paint off worked a treat – no need at all for harsh paint strippers. I also then polished them up with some Brasso.
I also organised the top floor cupboard but haven’t taken a picture yet – it will all have to come out again when the carpet is fitted but at least there is some order for now!
Yesterday we turned our attention to Bedroom 5, on the top floor. We shifted (or decanted) all the furniture into Mark’s study. The floor is going to be sanded and polished so we ripped up the very last of the old carpet in the house. Surpisingly the boards were in very good condition underneath. We briefly considered leaving them as they were but decided they would look much better with a re-sanding. There’s Oliver considering jumping on the window sill. I then spent an hour or so removing all the old carpet gripper strips around the edges of the room. I was doing all the boring jobs before my fun for the day – this fireplace. I knew what to expect so it was on with the gloves and face mask, several buckets and plastic bags to hand, a dustpan and brush, and the vacuum cleaner. It was a bit on an anti-climax really. I think this chimney has been sealed so there was only about a bucketful of masonry and dust. No dead birds, which was a releif. No screwed up newspapers or other historical artefacts though. I swept out the mess and, like several of the other fireplaces, the pieces of the fireplace were placed inside the cavity – the fire grate, the baffle and the hood. The only think missing was the ashpan but I have one from the matching fireplace in Mark’s study so I might be able to find one at a reclamation yard. How it looked by the end of the afternoon. D, the floor guy, will be here on Tuesday and then T, the decorator, can start on this room.
Yesterday work continued after my jaunt with Frogdancer to Lincoln, Ely, Cambridge, Kenilworth and Stratford-upon-Avon.
He had dropped by the day before to remove this whole panel as it needed complete re-leading.