Yesterday, in the guest bedroom, I painted the insert in the fireplace black, and this morning I cleaned the hearth tiles.
I also prepared the floor for the new carpet. There were a few loose boards that I screwed down and I adjusted one that had a very loud creak. I also vacuumed thoroughly, especially around the skirting boards to prevent dust eventually staining the edges of the carpet.
The carpet fitters began by laying dust-paper and followed with the underlay.
An hour or so later – done!
How it looked just a few weeks ago.
The hearth tiles clash with the wallpaper but I wanted to have them on show anyway.
Do you remember when I revealed this fireplace about eighteen months ago?
And how I found the fire pieces up in the chimney a few weeks back?
Oliver, Ruby and Rose inspecting at the end of the day.
Ruby was first over the threshold.
And Rose was the first to christen the carpet with her claws.
Carpet on the landing leading to the back stairs.
T the decorator continued undercoating them today.
The neat carpet edge at the top.
T also gloss-painted the doors on the top floor. Cupboard.
Bathroom. He also started to fill the woodwork in the utility and toilet.
P the plumber was here too. All the fixtures are now connected.
The new downstairs toilet possesses the most forceful flush I have ever witnessed.
Utility room tap.
Top floor toilet and shower.
The room is looking huge!
Externally, work continued on the new planters.
A slight adjustment is being made to the alignment.
The fence has been repaired.
Our neighbour will be very happy with that. I am too – I love the castellated top of the old fence palings and that’s an extremely sturdy new post.
At the side of the house, the site of the old servant courtyard will become the fern garden.
All cleared and ready for topsoil.
I had noticed for a few days that this drain around the side appeared blocked. The last time the builders were here I had to unblock it as it became filled with sand and rubble which obstructed the P-trap. This time it was much more difficult to clear.
I had to break it up with the trowel to get it out – it’s mortar that has been poured or washed into the drain and had set solid. I hope for my builders’ sake I got it all! Luckily I had a CCTV scan of all the drains just before work began so we can always make a comparison if necessary.
Finally, at the end of the day, after everyone had gone home, the gravel arrived. It was delivered by a lone man with a pallet trolley – no crane. Each of these bags literally weighs a tonne – 1000kgs. The poor man struggled so I had to help him push the load up the very slight incline to their final position. It was hard going even with the two us. I can’t believe they allow one person to deliver such a heavy load. He was a strapping Eastern European but as he said to me in halting English “I am not horse!”